Getting started, Pass Plus / Motorway

What you need

To begin learning to drive you to need to be at least 17 and hold a valid UK provisional license. You can apply for your provisional license for up to 3 months before your 17th birthday. Applications can be made online or by picking up form D1 from your local Post Office. You'll also need to be able to read a number plate from a distance of about 20 meters, you should wear your glasses or contact lenses if you use them. See my latest offers.

Practicing with friends and family

Once you've had a few lessons you may be able to practice with friends and family between lessons. This can help you gain valuable experience. Remember you must have 'L' plates on the car and you must be insured to drive it. Also, any supervising driver must be over 21 and have held a full driving license for at least three years.

And finally.....

So you have passed your driving test, all that stress fighting the elements, other drivers attitudes and finally your own nerves, what next?  You have several options available to you:

1.  Take a Motorway lesson. This teaches you how to enter and leave a motorway safely, how to change lanes and overtake. How different weather conditions dictate how you should drive, even what checks you should make of your car before starting a journey.

2,  Pass Plus is a course designed by the Driving Standards Agency specifically aimed at newly qualified drivers. One in five drivers is involved in an accident within a year of passing their test. Pass Plus is designed to extend and build on the skills learned to pass the driving test.

The Pass Plus course consists of 6 modules...

  • driving in town
  • driving in all weathers
  • driving on rural roads
  • driving at night
  • driving on dual carriageways
  • driving on motorways

There's no examination to pass at the end of the course, and on completion, you'll receive a certificate to record your achievement. You may also be entitled to a discount on your car insurance.